First off, congratulations on your pregnancy! What an exciting time for you and your family! As you begin to prepare for your baby, a maternity session is a great chance to capture this moment in your journey. Maternity sessions are both for mamas and their families, and they’re always such a great time. I know you’ve got a lot going on if you’re expecting, so I want to share 8 quick tips to help you prepare for maternity portraits during your pregnancy!
How to Prepare for Maternity Portraits: 8 Tips and Tricks
- Hire professional makeup + hair artists and have your nails done! It’s not often you get to pamper yourself, especially when pregnant, so take this time to get yourself ready! Enjoy it, relax, and show up with your hair and makeup done so your session is stress-free.
- Schedule your session between 28-32 weeks! During this part of the pregnancy, generally women are less swollen and sore, so you’re more comfortable during photos. I want you to be able to move with relative ease and feel beautiful.
3. Choose an outfit that shows off your bump! The point of these portraits is to celebrate your pregnancy so choose an outfit that shows off your bump but you’re confident in.
4. Talk to your photographer about what you want! If you want your session outdoors, in a studio, or at home – work with your photographer to design your session. Make sure to let them know your vision and we’ll try to bring it to life!
More tips to prepare!
5. Bring props! Make your session your own! Feel free to bring something with your baby’s name, shoes, a sign or whatever else you feel would bring more to your session. We can also talk about fun props like smoke bombs for a gender reveal.
6. Eat and drink prior to your session! You’re going to be moving a lot and potentially be outside in the sun or heat. Plan ahead and make sure you’re hydrated and well-fed beforehand. And always feel free to have snacks with you!!
7. Decide who’s coming to the session! Think about if you want your session to be JUST you or your family, or partner. Whatever you decide is perfect – this is all about you!!
8. Relax and have fun! Maternity sessions are meant to be a celebration! Don’t stress too much. We’ll make it all work and you’ll look beautiful!
If you’re expecting this year, let’s talk! I can’t wait to help you design the maternity portraits of your dreams! And I hope these 8 tips on how to prepare for maternity portraits help you feel a little more relaxed. Remember, this is meant to be fun!